Smt. Jayalakshmi Narasimhan
नास्ति मातृसमा छाया नास्ति मातृसमा गति:
नास्ति मातृसमं त्राणं नास्ति मातृसमा प्रपा ।।
Naasti matrisama chaya naasti matrisama gati
naasti matrisamam tranam naasti matrisama prapa
There is no shade like a mother, no resort like a mother, no security like a mother, no water house like a mother.
Mothers hold a special place in our hearts. On this Independence Day we are extremely honoured to announce a special endowment for women constituted by Sri D. V. Sridharan a long time supporter of Indic Academy in the memory of his beloved Mother Smt. Jayalakshmi Narasimhan. Smt. Narasimhan was born in 1923 and lived a short life of 23 years in this world. Her untimely death at the tender age of 23 in 1946 left the young Sridharan with a poignant memory of her adherence to a frugal Dharmic life.
Sri D.V. Sridharan has given an endowment of Rs. 10 Lakhs to be spent over an indefinite time following these guidelines:
- It is intended exclusively for women authors, activists or researchers and those working in the field of arts and culture.
- Grants will not exceed Rs.50,000 at a time.
- Every grant is expected to result in a tangible work, like an article, a report, a short film, a paper, a book, always relevant to Indic Culture, Indic History or Indic socio-economic interests with first publishing rights to Indic Academy.
- Indic Academy should be free to non-exclusively use the material in any way it deems fit. The recipient will be required to submit a report to Indic Academy for its record.
Interested parties can submit a detailed proposal outlining the statement of purpose for the grant and expected funds to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time of the year.
Reports by the Recipients
- Pavithra Srinivasan received a travel grant from the endowment to perform at the World Hindu Congress 2018 held in Chicago. She wrote about her experiences here
- Jahnavi Bidnur received a travel grant from the endowment to present a paper at the World Sanskrit Conference 2018 held in Vancouver. She wrote about her experiences here
- Kavita Varma a student of Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth received a scholarship grant from the endowment. She wrote about her experiences here